Friday, January 1, 2010

My Contribution

I'm not the type of person who just does things for no good reason. I think not having a real explanation for any given action is the easiest way to get into trouble, be it trouble with authority or trouble with yourself. So, I'll start this blog by trying to explain why I'm bothering to do it. If you were to ask me why I thought most people made blogs, I'd give the response you'd expect from a jaded cynic such as myself: "Because they have huge egos, and want to show off how effectively they can reference pop culture and use self-deprecating humor". I won't pretend that isn't part of my goal-- sometimes I worry I have more ego than Tiger Woods has hoes! (Yes, just did both in one sentence!)
But there is also a deeper purpose to this blog. Now that I'm in college, it seems I'm fielding questions left and right about what I'm studying and what I want to "be when I grow up". I answer that I will most likely study politics and get some sort of job in that field-- but what I often don't say is that I know a part of me will never be satisfied unless I can be "a writer". But I recently realized that being a writer isn't like being an accountant or a campaign staffer-- writing is something one can and should do at any and all stages of life. I shouldn't wait around to "become" a writer, but rather take advantage of the free time and technology available to me and simply be a writer. I was watching an episode of Sex in the City the other day in which Carrie says to her boyfriend's mother "I don't do anything. I just have this tiny sex column". "Yes", the mother says, "but it's a contribution. You're a part of the conversation". So even if this blog is read only by my nearest and dearest, or maybe not even by them, it's me contributing my thoughts on many different aspects of life in the best way I know how, rather than letting ideas fester in my head while I'm trying to fall asleep at night. I don't expect to give anyone some grand revelation, but maybe there will be a few nuggest of unintended wisdom that will help me or someone else look at something a little differently. That's what writing and reading is all about: expanding viewpoints and becoming more understanding.
So in a nutshell, this blog will be about my thoughts on things, be it my own life, music, television/film, books, politics, friends, and society. This blog is, in a way, my new year's resolution, and I hope to keep it up fairly regularly throughout this year. But for now, I'm going to nurse this nagging hangover. Happy New Year, whoever bothered reading this! =]

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you're doing it and I'll definitely read it. :)

    -Claire

    ReplyDelete