Thursday, December 2, 2010

A Few Things I've Learned

Esquire Magazine has this great segment where a celebrity of some sort has a list of random things they've learned over the years, ranging from the clever to the inane to the poignant. (Here's the url to one from the late Yankees owner George Steinbrenner: http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/ESQ0102-JAN_STEINBRENNER_rev_?click=main_sr) Ever since I first read one from Jack Nicholas a few years ago, I've been mentally keeping track of my own little pieces of wisdom. I recently realized that I will most likely never become a famous person that classy men's magazines will want to interview, so I've decided to post some here, just for the halibut.

Everything is cyclical. The only thing permanent is change, but eventually things will change back to the way they used to be. You'll just be in a different position in the cycle.

When someone is being awful to you, just be polite as hell, and not even in a sarcastic way. Those around you will admire it, and nobody ever regretted not losing their cool.

When unsure about food you're cooking, just add Tapatio or Siracha. The worse it tastes, the more spice you should add. Even if it gets too spicy, at least you can blame the meal's failure on that, instead of your cooking skills.

People like to hate on the media a lot, especially entertainment media. But media is neither good nor bad; it just is. The media started as soon as humans could draw pictures in caves-- it's human nature to try to frame events and communicate it with other people. TV and the internet can be used for a lot of great things, and a lot of subpar or even horrible things, but no single part of the media should be pointed to as a reflection of the media as a whole.

Life gets a lot easier and more interesting when you get to the point where you can catch most cultural references.

The best things I picked up from either of my parents weren't the things they constantly told me to do, but the things they taught by example. I don't even think they realized they were teaching them; they were just being themselves. Being a good parent really means just being a good person.

You should take life seriously, but don't take yourself seriously. Here's the difference: an artist should be able to lose himself completely in his painting, then laugh at how ridiculous he looks with paint splattered all over his face.

Every time I walk down stairs, all I can think about is that eventually I'll have to walk back up them. Which brings me back to my point about things being cyclical.

1 comment:

  1. A wonderfully cyclical blog post. :)

    Enjoyed it, as always.

    ReplyDelete